JA quotes and intro

"I should infinitely prefer a book." -- Chapter 39, Pride and Prejudice
"...I wish my collection were larger for your benefit and my own credit..." -- Chapter 8, Pride and Prejudice
"I shall be glad to have the library to myself as soon as may be." -- Chapter 20, Pride and Prejudice

Thanks for dropping by! Titles are below and to the right, under the following headings:
The Trouble of Practising | Longer fiction
The Result of Previous Study | Challenge entries and stories based on others' prompts (or simply others' prompting)
Impulse of the Moment | Short stories written on a whim
Drabbles | Snapshots, usually 100 words but occasionally more, and usually based on a prompt
The Alcove | Writings other than Jane Austen fanfictionNewest Post: All Six Senses (and All F
Some stories include direct quotes from Austen's works, and there is the occasional nod to one or other of the adaptations.

Most Recent Updates:
Dancing Lessons (July 2023), Miss Bingley's Megrim (November/December 2023)

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Welcome Interruptions


(2019, finished from a 2011 fragment)
Pride and Prejudice
Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy take turns clearing up misunderstandings in Lambton.

“Lydia—the humiliation, the misery she was bringing on them all, soon swallowed up every private care; and covering her face with her handkerchief, Elizabeth was soon lost to everything else; and, after a pause of several minutes, was only recalled to a sense of her situation by the voice of her companion...”
- Chapter 46 of Pride and Prejudice

“I am afraid,” Mr. Darcy said, rousing Elizabeth from her thoughts, “you have been long desiring my absence, nor have I—”

“I have been long desiring no such thing,” Elizabeth said before he could continue.

A frown settled on Mr. Darcy’s face. “What did you say?”

“I am certain you heard it.” Her face must already be a fright from so much crying. A blush of mortification would hardly make things worse. “I apologise for so rudely interrupting your speech, but I could not help it.”

The frown turned into a look of puzzlement.

“Mr. Darcy,” she explained, “I am sure I ought not to mention it at all, but it appears you are no more adept now at discerning my desires than you were several months ago. Your fear is for naught; I have not been wishing you gone this quarter hour. Quite the contrary, in fact.” She glanced at the door. “I do understand if you have been wishing to get away, however, and I will detain you no longer.”

Mr. Darcy stepped closer. “You do not want me to go?”

Too weary to repeat herself, Elizabeth simply stood and looked at him.

“Then I shall wait until your uncle and aunt return.”

“Thank you.”

Elizabeth turned away as her tears flowed afresh. While contemplating the uselessness of her soaked handkerchief, she suddenly felt the smooth texture of Mr. Darcy's waistcoat on one cheek and the warmth of his palm on the other.

“Elizabeth,” he whispered, “I am so sorry this has happened.”

“As am I,” she replied in muffled tones. “Things were going so well. Beautifully, really! Now my family are ruined, everything is ruined, and I cannot expect you to continue the acquaintance. You have been kind to stay as long as you have, but— ”

“I see it is my turn to interrupt.” He leant back and looked into her eyes. “I am sorry you should suffer a moment's distress because of Wickham's actions.”

“Wickham,” she said with bitterness. “It would have been horrid no matter who had run off with Lydia, but his having done so is worse than any thing.”

“Or better,” Mr. Darcy said, looking thoughtful.

“How can it be better that she has gone off with the one man in the world you have every reason to despise?”

“Because I have an idea how to find him, which might not have been the case with a stranger.”

“You...you mean to help us? You mean to search for them? Why ever would you put yourself—”

“Elizabeth,” he said, caressing her face with both hands, “you tempt me to interrupt you in a somewhat scandalous fashion, which would not do. I shall have to be content with words. I came here desiring to ask you a question, determined at least to discover if you might welcome such a question in future. That will have to wait until a more opportune time. But tell me, are you truly surprised? Do you think I could see you in such a state and not do everything in my power to assist you?”

“It would be presumptuous of me to expect it. No one will think well of me or my sisters now, and your good opinion once lost, as you said in Hertfordshire, is lost forever.”

“I am finding that the opposite may be true as far as you are concerned, my dear. Perhaps my good opinion once gained—”

Mr. Darcy punctuated his unfinished statement with a gasp as Elizabeth kissed his palm.

“You are the best of men,” she said.

They heard footsteps and voices. Soon Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner were with them. News was shared, plans made, notes written, and trunks packed. Mr. Darcy saw Elizabeth and the Gardiners off before heading back to Pemberley to make his own preparations. Elizabeth left Derbyshire with more hope than she had thought possible upon first reading Jane's letters.

Several weeks later, after an unrepentant Lydia had married her unworthy Wickham and the couple had departed for Newcastle, Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley called at Longbourn. When the gentlemen entered the parlour, Mrs. Bennet showered Mr. Bingley with words of welcome. Her courtesies to his friend froze on her lips at her astonishment at that man's actions.

First, Mr. Darcy greeted the ladies with the utmost politeness. Next, he walked over to Elizabeth and held out his hand. Once she placed her hand in his, he lifted it, kissed her palm, and asked, “Miss Elizabeth, would you consider this a more opportune time to address certain matters?”

Elizabeth could do naught but agree.

Leaving Mrs. Bennet to fancy herself in need of her salts, Jane to accustom herself once again to the attentions of Mr. Bingley, and her younger sisters to moralise and exclaim over these new developments respectively, Elizabeth led Mr. Darcy out of doors and onto one of the gravel walks. They soon entered the copse and were not interrupted before everything was settled to their satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment