JA quotes and intro

"I should infinitely prefer a book." -- Chapter 39, Pride and Prejudice
"...I wish my collection were larger for your benefit and my own credit..." -- Chapter 8, Pride and Prejudice
"I shall be glad to have the library to myself as soon as may be." -- Chapter 20, Pride and Prejudice

Thanks for dropping by! Titles are below and to the right, under the following headings:
The Trouble of Practising | Longer fiction
The Result of Previous Study | Challenge entries and stories based on others' prompts (or simply others' prompting)
Impulse of the Moment | Short stories written on a whim
Drabbles | Snapshots, usually 100 words but occasionally more, and usually based on a prompt
The Alcove | Writings other than Jane Austen fanfictionNewest Post: All Six Senses (and All F
Some stories include direct quotes from Austen's works, and there is the occasional nod to one or other of the adaptations.

Most Recent Updates:
Dancing Lessons (July 2023), Miss Bingley's Megrim (November/December 2023)

Friday, June 18, 2010

Resolution and Reaction (Part 3 of 3)

Chapter Nine

Elizabeth decided she would further her acquaintance with Mr. Darcy and see what would come of it, but first she would talk to her father. She had gained the first floor when she noticed that the library door was ajar. Seeing that Mr. Bennet was not at his desk, she entered and closed the door. She walked to the far corner of the room to wait for her father and happened upon a much younger man instead.

"Mr. Darcy!"

"Miss Bennet!" Darcy could not believe his good fortune.

Elizabeth swallowed her surprise and said, "I see my father has left you on your own. I can guess where Mr. Bingley has gone, however." She smiled knowingly at him.

"The servant just came for Mr. Bennet a moment ago. I hope I am not inconveniencing anyone by remaining here."

"Not at all, Sir. I hope you are enjoying our library, though I imagine it is nothing to the one at Pemberley."

"On the contrary, Miss Bennet," he replied, running his finger down the binding of one of the volumes. "Your father has quite an interesting and varied collection. I suppose you must have spent many a pleasant afternoon here." He looked towards the window seat as he spoke.

"Yes I have. After all, one must improve one's mind by extensive reading if one truly wishes to be an accomplished woman."

He could not help chuckling at her reference to one of their conversations at Netherfield. "Yes, I did say that, did I not? And I seem to recall that you were reading a book at the time. The inspiration for that particular comment, perhaps?"

How at home he looks here, in this room, she thought. Elizabeth had been admiring his dimples, which made him look even more attractive, if possible. The import of his remark hit her suddenly and she could not stop blushing. Is Mr. Darcy teasing me? she wondered. What can he mean?

Darcy returned to a more neutral subject. "Georgiana and I have spent many evenings after dinner reading together at Pemberley. We began the practice a few years ago. Our home seemed so empty with just the two of us, and spending time with our books helped to dispel the melancholy atmosphere that had come over the place."

Elizabeth considered what it might be like to be orphaned and have one's family party reduced to just two members. She could not imagine it, though she could sympathise. And with all that happened over the summer, he must be loath to leave his sister at any time. "Miss Darcy must have been sorry to part with you again so soon."

"Georgiana did not begrudge me this trip into Hertfordshire. She knew that coming back here was something I had to do. Indeed, I had no choice."

"No choice! But why?" The words slipped out. Surely he had no obligation to be here. "Pray excuse me, Mr. Darcy. I suppose your extraordinary openness today has spoiled me, and as we have only just become friends," she gave him a questioning glance and her lips turned up in a smile, a smile which he returned, "I should not like to risk such a...tender accord as ours with my impertinent questions."

Tender, indeed, he agreed silently. "I do not consider your question impertinent at all, and I will answer it." Darcy considered his response. "There were two reasons. One was to offer my support to Bingley. His sisters refused theirs, as I am sure you are aware from your mention of Miss Bingley's letter this morning." Darcy hesitated to tell her the rest, but he thought it best to make a clean breast of it. He motioned to the window seat and they sat down together. He lowered his eyes and continued in a hushed voice. "I am ashamed to say I was sympathetic to their cause for a time, but primarily because I had not discerned that your sister loved my friend." He saw Elizabeth's expression change to one of anger, and he held up his hand to forestall an interruption. "I have never seen Bingley so deeply in love. Your sister is an excellent young lady and she appeared all that is amiable, but she was not obvious in her affection. Forgive me, but I was concerned that she might feel pressured to accept him without love. You cannot know how glad I was to see the truth in her face when we arrived this morning. I do not know when I have been so happy to be wrong."

Darcy thought that Elizabeth looked too irritated to consider the merits of his observations, so he continued quickly. His expression lightened. "I am sorry that Miss Bennet suffered during Bingley's absence. I did not know until today that Miss Bingley had written to her. Miss Bingley and I have not spoken since the day we all arrived in town, and she mentioned no letter to me. Your sister's happiness was not in any danger, however. Bingley knew what he was about. He was certain that she returned his affections. Nothing could sway him." His respect for Bingley was clear as he spoke. His voice took on a more natural tone but retained its softness. "Miss Bennet, I hope you are not offended by my frankness."

Elizabeth shook her head and smiled a wry smile. "No, Mr. Darcy, I am not, but if there is one thing I have learnt today, it is that I would rather risk being offended and hear the truth." So his pride and arrogance had not completely deserted him but, rather, had been overcome by his friend's determination. He appeared to accept his defeat with grace, even pleasure. "You are a good friend to Mr. Bingley, to devote such time to his concerns, even while you must desire to be with Miss Darcy. No wonder you write her such long letters, as a certain lady of our acquaintance once observed." As she alluded to Miss Bingley's comment, she smiled and he rolled his eyes, which made her laugh. Why was he being so unguarded with her? He appeared to have abandoned his reserve where she was concerned. She considered his words for a moment. "You said there were two reasons you came back." She regarded him earnestly as she said this, and when he returned her gaze she thought she read his answer there as clearly as if he had said the words aloud. Her breath caught in her throat and she could not look away.

Darcy was encouraged, but he could not be secure. True, Elizabeth was actually sitting here engaging him in conversation. Her manner seemed different: she seemed more at ease with him, less critical. Yet she might be comfortable simply because she was in her own home. In the past he had taken her playful banter for more than it was. He could not afford to make any assumptions. Darcy was not one to waste an opportunity, but this was a novel experience for him, one upon which his happiness depended. He proceeded cautiously. "I had been in a quandary about something that seemed at odds with my duty to my family, my estate, and my position in society. In London, I discovered that my concerns, while reasonable, were rendered almost entirely irrelevant in light of the benefits. If my desire were fulfilled, it would violate no principle, defy no duty; it could only do a great deal of good to me and those closest to me. There would be dissenting voices, some louder than others, but none, in the end, that would signify." Here he paused. "Unfortunately, knowing what one wants and having the ability to procure it are two very different things." Darcy looked at her with longing in his eyes. Can you not know, Elizabeth? Must I say it? He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

Darcy looked and sounded so serious. Elizabeth had begun playing with a fold in her skirt to distract herself from the smouldering look in his eyes. She nervously attempted to lighten the tone of their conversation. "Come now, Sir. When has the great Mr. Darcy ever been truly unable to get what he wants?"

Darcy was in no mood for mockery. "When the woman I adore hates the very sight of me." He had not meant to say it aloud. He noticed that Elizabeth had stopped her movements. He placed his hand over hers, no longer able to be this close and not touch her. He heard her gasp and waited for her to withdraw her hand, but she did not.

Elizabeth knew she should protest but she had no desire to do so. Whatever she was feeling, it was more than she had felt for any other man at any time, and it unsettled her. She was having difficulty focussing on his words with his thumb moving slowly, hypnotically across the back of her hand.

Darcy was speaking again, his voice tinged with sadness. "When I left Hertfordshire—was it only three days ago? It seems longer, for my suffering was acute—I was unaware of what a mess I had made of things. I had been so blind!" He stroked each of her fingers individually. "When I realised the truth, I knew that unless I could make amends, nothing would be right. I had to come back. I had to try, little hope as there was for success." He knew he was rambling. He studied her face as she glanced about. There were so many things he wanted to say to her, and he was struck with the notion that he could communicate all of it to her in a much more satisfying way. Her proximity to him made the temptation unbearable. He released her hand and stood up. He had just seen her look toward the door a second time; he could not ruin his chances now.

"Miss Bennet," he apologised, "I am sorry. It seems I am forever imposing on you, first with my thoughtless words and faulty manners, lately with my lengthy narratives and..." He squeezed his eyes shut and lowered his head. "My officious attempts at interfering in the lives of others." He looked up at her, frustrated, before continuing, "And now with my selfish desire to be near you. I have no excuse to offer. I will leave you now and join the others." Darcy bowed solemnly and reluctantly walked toward the door.

Elizabeth could not believe her ears. She could not let him leave in such a dejected state. She knew that things had altered, that he had altered, or she had. He had made every effort to reach out to her. She could not do less. She quickly got to her feet and caught up with him.

Touching his arm tentatively, she said, "Please, Mr. Darcy, do not think that I wish you to go." He turned around and looked at her, incredulous, but said nothing. She clarified for him. "I realise that perhaps we ought to go, but do not think that I wish it." She cast her eyes down. She hoped he would not think her too forward. She could not bear to lose his good opinion now that she believed she had it.

Elizabeth did not see the relief and utter joy on the young man's face, but she did feel his hand take hers and raise it to his lips.

"Miss Bennet," Darcy said softly. He gazed at her, willing her to lift her eyes, but she would not. He let go of her hand and touched her chin, guiding it until she looked at him properly.

Elizabeth was overcome with emotion. Her hand tingled as he held it, kissed it; her chin felt warm where his finger rested under it. Eyes wide, her lips parted and she asked him, "How can you have such power over me?"

Darcy smiled. "Now, that is a question I ought to be asking you, Elizabeth," he whispered, and he kissed her gently, gratefully. After this brief indulgence he broke away and rested his cheek against her temple, closing his eyes, amazed that he had not imagined it all. "I cannot take anything more from you. You have been so generous with me already." He held her that way for a moment and then released her. "Let us return to your family before someone comes in search of us." He went to the door and opened it.

Elizabeth was in a daze. She could not see his taking such liberties if he had no intentions toward her, not after all that had passed between them today. She could still feel his warmth on her face as she exited the room ahead of him.



Chapter Ten

Darcy and Elizabeth followed the sound of animated conversation to the sitting room, where Mrs. Bennet and Jane were discussing possible wedding dates. Jane preferred to wait until early February, while her mother was sure they could arrange to hold the ceremony before the end of the year. Mr. Bingley saw many advantages to a quick wedding; nevertheless he sided with his betrothed and practicality. Lydia asked Mr. Bingley if he would hold another ball in honour of his engagement, and her future brother-in-law admitted it to be a marvelous idea. Mary and Kitty were discussing the use of the pianoforte and library at Netherfield and a possible season or two in town, respectively, with Jane or Bingley, whenever either had a moment to attend to them.

Elizabeth smiled brightly at Jane, listened for a minute and then sat apart from the group. Darcy took up his post at a window to collect himself. Bingley had seen the two of them enter the room, but he could not tell from their faces whether things between them were better or worse. He excused himself and walked over to Darcy.

"Darcy, we have been invited to stay for dinner. Do you mind? I should like to very much."

"Not at all. I would be pleased to stay. You know I am at your disposal, Bingley."

Bingley dropped his voice to a whisper. "Did you sort out matters to your satisfaction?"

Darcy frowned. "Whether I have done so or whether I have ruined my chances completely, I cannot tell. Perhaps I will know before dinner is over." Elizabeth had said she would rather risk being offended and know the truth. She now knew the truth of his feelings, and it only remained to discover whether she was offended or not.

Bingley patted his friend's shoulder, offered him an optimistic grin, and returned to Jane's side.

At length, Mr. Bennet's business was finished and he returned to company. He walked in and sat down in a chair near Lizzy. "Well, my dear, what have I missed?" He noticed her heightened colour at this question and looked over at the gentleman who seemed obsessed with the view of the outdoors. "Mr. Darcy, please join us," he offered, motioning to the sofa where Lizzy sat. Mr. Bennet generally stayed out of his children's affairs, but he was not used to seeing Elizabeth so completely disconcerted as she seemed today in the presence of this gentleman.

Darcy knew he could not have remained at the window until dinner, so he sat down with the father and daughter. He understood that if he reverted to his usual silence, he may lose what ground he had gained today. Avoiding Elizabeth's eyes and turning to his host, he said, "Mr. Bennet, you have a very fine library. I should like the opportunity to have a closer look at your collection. It seems you have taken advantage of every available shelf, quite a contrast to my friend Bingley." He smiled at this. "Now that he is to marry into your family, perhaps he will follow your example. I imagine his wife may help him greatly in that regard. Her sister, Miss Elizabeth," and here he risked a glance at the object of his affections and hopes, "certainly reads extensively. I could not envision her in a home that did not have an abundance of books." His eyes lingered on her for a few moments.

Mr. Bennet was certain now that Mr. Bingley was not the only gentleman present who entertained thoughts of marrying into his family. "Mr. Darcy, you are quite welcome to take a look around the library again before you leave this evening. Do let me know if you would like to borrow a few volumes to make up for the lack of reading material at your current residence."

Darcy smiled. "Thank you, sir. That is very kind of you."

"Why do we not continue this conversation there?" Mr. Bennet asked. "Lizzy, come along with us, my dear." Darcy heartily agreed, but glanced apprehensively at Elizabeth. He was sure that he and Mr. Bennet understood each other. He excused himself for a brief moment to acknowledge Mrs. Bennet's dinner invitation and to thank her for it, throwing in a compliment on the previous meal for good measure. Mrs. Bennet was surprised and grateful, thanked him profusely for his compliment, and returned to voicing her plans to visit several of the London warehouses in the coming weeks.

Elizabeth reluctantly rose from her seat. How could Darcy refer so pointedly to the library and talk about it with such ease? She had to return to that room eventually, but she had not expected to do so this soon, nor in the company of the man who had inspired this profusion of sensations in her. Perhaps with her father there, she would be able to remain composed enough to come to some conclusion about what she wanted from Mr. Darcy.



In the library, Mr. Bennet introduced a new topic. He thought it best to try to get to know Darcy, and he perceived that his daughter might appreciate his efforts as well. "Have you and Mr. Bingley known each other very long?"

"We have been very good friends these three or four years, though we have been acquainted somewhat longer."

"Have you any close friends that you have left behind in town or in Derbyshire?"

"I have a few associates from my days at Cambridge. Other than that, I have my family. My sister and I are very close, and I see my cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam a few times a year, whenever his regiment can spare him."

"Elizabeth and Miss Lucas have been friends since childhood, and of course she and Jane are thick as thieves." Mr. Bennet grinned at his daughter. "You may have heard that Miss Lucas is to marry my cousin, Mr. Collins. Your aunt is his patroness, I believe."

Darcy was surprised that Collins had transferred his affections so easily, especially since he himself could not stop thinking of Elizabeth. "Yes, my aunt, Lady Catherine de Bourgh. I visit her and my cousin Anne once a year, at Easter."

"Not more often? I am surprised. I understood from more than one source that you have a particular relationship to that family."

Darcy coloured more from irritation than anything else. "I am not closer to her or her daughter than I am to any others of my extended family. I cannot afford to visit more than once a year." Mr. Bennet responded to this with a raised eyebrow. Darcy explained. "Mr. Bennet, I will be frank: my aunt wishes to be my mother as well, but as I have no desire to be her son, I do not want to provide my aunt with anything that may be misconstrued as encouragement in that regard. Visiting more often might be considered as such." Both Darcy and Mr. Bennet watched to see how Elizabeth took this news, but she had turned her face away.

Darcy ventured, "I assume that one of your sources of information is your cousin." To this Mr. Bennet nodded. "May I ask the identity of the other source?"

"Elizabeth gave me to understand that Mr. Wickham has heard a similar rumour, which he imparted to her."

Darcy's expression was unreadable. "I thought as much. Mr. Wickham was my god-brother and is acquainted with several members of my family."

Mr. Bennet seized the opportunity. "Was your god-brother? Do you no longer consider him so?"

"No, Sir. We no longer associate. We have grown into very different people, and events that have occurred since my father's death have been injurious to our friendship. Your daughter is aware of my history with Mr. Wickham. I divulged it to her today in response to some concerns she raised during the ball last Tuesday."

"Is this the case, Lizzy?"

"Yes, Papa. It seems that Mr. Wickham's account was misleading at best." She scowled. "Malicious slander at worst," she added under her breath, but her father heard her.

"That is a far cry from your opinion on the matter just a few days ago. What has changed?"

"Everything! Nothing! Oh!" Elizabeth blushed furiously and looked at Darcy, at the window seat, and finally at her skirts. She moved unconsciously to the spot where he had kissed her, and she put her hands to her lips.

Mr. Bennet had had enough. He trusted his daughter's judgement; he knew she would not swing wildly between two opinions simply for the sake of doing so or blindly trade one man's tale for another. She must have heard something to convince her that Darcy was innocent of Wickham's charges. He could see that she needed some guidance. Jane was not available, Mrs. Gardiner was too far away, and Mrs. Bennet would, unfortunately, be of no assistance in this matter. He would have to step in. "Mr. Darcy, would you like to make yourself comfortable there by the window? I want to have a word with Lizzy." The young man looked ready to excuse himself from their company so he forestalled him. "No, no. There is no need for you to leave. Actually, I would greatly appreciate it if you could spare some minutes for conversation when we are done here. We will be but a moment. Lizzy? Come here, my child."

Elizabeth joined her father at the corner opposite the window seat where they would not be overheard. He looked at her sternly at first, but his expression softened as he watched her struggle to regain her composure. "Lizzy," he said with love and concern in his voice, "Is there something you wish to tell me? Is there any way I can help you?"

It was all Elizabeth could do to keep from crying aloud. She knew her father held her in special regard, but he rarely exerted himself in uncomfortable situations. Not only had he noticed her distress, but he was taking steps to relieve it. He had come to her rescue when the wrong man asked her to marry him; he was doing so again when she hoped that the right man would. She slowly choked down her tears and said, "Papa, I do not know what has happened to me. I do know that I have greatly wronged Mr. Darcy, and I was wrong about him as well. He bears me no ill will, which I find astonishing, but what I feel for him is not exactly gratitude. It is much more. How can this be? How can my feelings have altered so?"

Mr. Bennet put a hand on his daughter's shoulder. He looked at her now and recalled visions of a much younger Lizzy running through the fields behind the house, climbing trees, curling up in his lap with a book in her hand and begging him to read aloud to her. His baby girl had grown up before his eyes, but in some ways she was still very much an innocent. He glanced over at the window. He hoped the man across the room would be good to her. He had better be. "Perhaps, my dear, these feelings were just under the surface, waiting for circumstances to bring them to light. But are you sure you can trust him? I know he has been very pleasant today, but this might be an aberration. Will you be able to get on with such a proud, reserved man?"

"But Papa, he has been very humble, very gentle with me today," Elizabeth said, relaxing a little. "He even apologised for offending me after we first met. And he is not always so reserved." She coloured deeply and could not go on. Then she thought of Wickham and decided to tell her father some of what she now knew. "As for Mr. Wickham's story, I have heard more, and I have thought about it more carefully. Mr. Wickham made at least two statements to me that contradicted his own actions, and I wonder that I did not notice them until today. Also, he asked me some questions about Mr. Darcy—how long he was to be in the neighbourhood, what I thought of him—and on hearing my own opinion at the time, he proceeded to tell me his version of events. Mr. Darcy did not offer his view of things until I confronted him at the ball during our dance. He only gave a guarded reply then. He seemed very hesitant to talk about it, though there was much he could have said." Elizabeth's brow crinkled as she said, "I have come to the conclusion, both from my own observation of Mr. Wickham and from Mr. Darcy's account, that Mr. Wickham's circumstances are of his own creation, and he would by no means make an ideal clergyman."

Mr. Bennet regarded his daughter fondly. He smiled to himself at how quickly she had seen the reasonableness of whatever Darcy had told her. As he had come to a similar conclusion without the benefit of that man's information, he could not argue with her. He said with a twinkle in his eye, "Now, are you recovered enough to return to your sister and lend your opinion on the virtues of silk over satin?" This elicited a laugh from his daughter. "Go, then, Lizzy, and let me have a word with the young man. Do not concern yourself. I am sure all will turn out well." He kissed her forehead and sent her away.

Darcy stared out the window. He could see the bench where Elizabeth had sat and listened to him in the garden. He looked down at the window seat and recalled stroking her hand there. He wished he could hold that hand now. She had looked so conscious a moment ago when her father had asked her what had changed. He knew she was thinking of their kiss; how could she not be? He hoped he had not destroyed his prospects by his loss of control. He could not hear what Elizabeth was saying to her father. At least the gentleman did not seem angry, but one never could tell with Mr. Bennet. He would just have to wait and find out.



Bingley was quite used to hearing Caroline and Louisa go on about the latest fashions or needing to purchase new gowns for this or that ball, but never in his life had he heard such effusions as were coming from Mrs. Bennet. How did the woman find so many particulars to discuss, and what in the world would be left to talk about on the morrow? He was beginning to think he should have gone outside again with Jane, cold knees or no, when Mrs. Bennet finally decided to quit the room and give the engaged couple a little time to themselves. Yet his goal had been accomplished. He looked at his bride-to-be and sighed. Yes, she was worth it. He settled back into his seat and looked from the retreating form of his future mother-in-law into the smiling eyes of Netherfield's future mistress.



Chapter Eleven

"Mr. Darcy."

"Sir?"

"My daughter has had an extraordinary week even without your visit. Yet today she is more discomfited than I have seen her in quite some time. Do you have anything to say that might shed some light on the situation?"

Darcy was expecting a more directed question; something requiring a single word in reply would have been welcome. He was sitting across from Mr. Bennet at his desk. He moved forward in his chair, placed his elbows on his lap and clasped his hands together, resting his chin on them. He remained this way for a few seconds and then sat up and looked directly at his host. "Mr. Bennet, I am sure you have noticed my particular attention to your daughter today."

"One would have to be blind not to see it."

"Yes, well. I have a deep admiration and regard for Miss Elizabeth. I would like your permission to court her."

"You appear to be a little late in asking for that. I take it that you have not come to an understanding yet, then. I suppose not, or you would be asking me a slightly different question."

"I thought it too soon, though if I believed her willing to consent, I could not hesitate."

Mr. Bennet studied the man before him. He was young and handsome. He had wealth, connections, and extensive property. Proud as he was, he also seemed intelligent, responsible, persistent, and morally sound. And he has the good sense to value my Lizzy. He was obviously a thoughtful man but apparently one who was not afraid to act when the occasion required it. Mr. Bennet could not imagine how he had turned Elizabeth's opinion around so quickly. He had never considered Mr. Darcy to be quite the villain she had claimed he was, but neither did he discount the strength of her feelings. He had thought it would have taken her much longer to give up her prejudice against the man. He was disposed to approve of him, but he had to be sure he was making the right choice. Lizzy was only twenty; she had plenty of time to find a husband. But if this man truly was the one for her, he did not want her to miss her chance for happiness.

"Mr. Darcy, I need to know that your attraction to Elizabeth is not some passing inclination. I will not have her hurt. She is very precious to me, and I will not give her to a man, no matter how illustrious, only to have him toy with her and discard her once he loses interest. If you are simply following your friend's example and nothing more..."

Darcy was indignant. He got up and started pacing, trying to rein in his anger, but he could not contain it. "I do not want Elizabeth for my amusement! I need her! I love her." He covered his face in his hands as he realised what he had said. That was what he had wanted to say to the lady herself but had not, for fear of rejection. Now he had lost his temper and called her by her Christian name to her father's face. He was at the man's mercy now. He sat down, chagrined. He had to make him understand. "Forgive me, sir. I devoted considerable thought to this while in London. In truth, I could think of little else. I am not pursuing Miss Elizabeth to avoid my aunt's ambitions. I am not following blindly after Bingley. Nor am I a slave to a superficial desire. I have need of her, Sir! I have been on my own for some time now. Until I came to Hertfordshire, until I met and observed and matched wits with your clever, beautiful daughter, heard her infectious laughter and witnessed her devotion to her sister while she was ill, and marveled at her passion for life...I had despaired of finding anyone I could ever be prevailed on to marry."

Mr. Bennet fought back tears. His heart would break; his little girl would leave him and go to a home of her own. At least he could rest assured that she would be treasured as much, if not more, than Jane would be. "Mr. Darcy," he said in a much softer voice, "I am sorry to question your sincerity. It is just that I needed to know for myself what was ahead for my Lizzy. I give you leave to court her and permission to marry her once you obtain her consent." He turned aside. "I doubt you will have long to wait."

Mr. Bennet stood. "Now, if you will just remain here, I am almost done." He left the room. Before Darcy had fully absorbed what Mr. Bennet had said to him, Elizabeth walked in and closed the door behind her, this time well aware that she was not alone. When he saw her he blinked twice, unsure if he could trust his eyes.



Elizabeth knew her own heart well enough by the time she had finished talking to her father. She had wanted to linger outside the library door before going back to her mother and sisters, but the temptation for eavesdropping was too great. In her absence, Lydia and Kitty had gone upstairs to talk of their dreams of marrying officers someday. Mary was off reading her favourite book of extracts, and her mother had retired to her chamber. She found Jane and Bingley alone in the sitting room and decided not to disturb them. She wandered over to the base of the stairs, very much inclined to sit down on them as she and Jane had often done when they were very young. Soon Longbourn would change. Her dearest sister was to leave it. And I may not be here very long after she is gone, she realised, if today has not been some glorious dream.

She was still standing there when her father approached her and whispered in her ear. "Go to him, child." He smiled and turned to hide his tears from Elizabeth, but she had seen them. She gave into an impulse and hugged her father tightly before he got completely away. If he was reconciled to her choice, she was free to pursue her happiness. She walked quickly to the library and stood outside the door a moment before she opened it.

Elizabeth came in quietly and closed the door. Darcy's back was to her. She manoeuvred herself between her father's desk and her suitor and turned to face him with a dazzling smile. He was speechless from surprise; it was clear he had not expected her. He started to rise but she held out her hand to stop him. "No, stay there if you would, Sir." She looked him over from the tips of his boots to the top of his head.

Darcy was spellbound. He was alone with her again! Had Mr. Bennet sent her? He must have. She was too calm for it to be otherwise. Had she heard him through the door as he talked to her father? He was staring at her, saying nothing. What must she think of him? "Miss Bennet," he began.

"Hush." Elizabeth put a finger to his lips to silence him.

Elizabeth smiled to herself as she observed him in his confusion. She laughed and said, "Mr. Darcy, I fear you have me at a disadvantage."

Feeling distinctly disadvantaged himself in his present situation, Darcy asked his rather fearless companion, "And what might that be?"

She leant towards him, her fragrance toying with his senses. She spoke so close to his ear that he felt her breath on his neck. "You have called me Elizabeth more than once today. Will you allow me a similar liberty, Mr. Darcy? It is only fair." She moved back to look in his eyes.

Darcy swallowed. "Of course."

"Fitzwilliam." Elizabeth rolled it around on her tongue. "Hmm. Fitz," she said with a mischievous glint in her eyes, "I should like to continue our earlier conversation. I am sure you recall that you were explaining your second reason for returning to Hertfordshire." Elizabeth leant back against her father's desk. She was still close enough to touch him. Watching him struggle and squirm was so amusing! He had implied that she was the one with power over him, and she wanted to test that assertion.

Here was the teasing, maddening Elizabeth whose company Darcy craved, only she was something more: not merely confident, but in command. She was directing now, not simply reacting. A similar liberty indeed! He could not remember anyone taking the liberty to shorten his name since his Fitzwilliam cousins had dared to do so when he was a youth, simply to nettle him; with his name, even just a portion of it, slipping so sweetly from Elizabeth's lips, he found himself utterly charmed by the playfulness of it. Her eyes were turned to him once more, their beautiful expression as intense as when she had appraised him unabashedly a moment ago. He prayed her valuation would be in his favour. "Miss Bennet, I..."

Again Elizabeth interrupted him. "So formal, Fitzwilliam? Are we no longer friends, then?" She moved forward just a bit and touched the back of his hand with her fingertip.

Darcy breathed in sharply. "Elizabeth, you torture me." He tried to focus on her eyes and not on the spot where her pendant rested. As she continued to lean over him, this became increasingly difficult.

"Do I?" She smiled. "All you need do is answer my question and grant a small request thereafter, and I shall be done." She left his hand alone in order to play with the lock of hair hanging over his brow, twisting it around her finger.

"I cannot think, I cannot talk sense when you touch me that way."

"I wonder that you did not consider such ministrations an impediment to my listening to you earlier. But it is of no importance. Do you have an answer?"

He caught her hand in his. "I came back for you. I love you, Elizabeth."

Elizabeth's heart leaped, but she exerted herself to maintain her teasing manner even in the face of such a declaration. She looked at him warmly and said, "Fitzwilliam! That is very sweet of you. However, there is still the matter of my request. I am all but certain of my own affection for you, but it would not hurt to have some...confirmation. I am sure you can assist me. You may be aware that earlier today, in this very room, in fact," she glanced briefly at the spot where they had stood then, "a gentleman of my acquaintance paid me...ah, particularly amorous attentions. As I have no other experience against which to measure it, it shall have to serve as the standard. If your own performance can compare favourably, Fitzwilliam, I think I shall have the assurance I seek." She leant back against the desk again and looked straight in his eyes.

Darcy was bewitched. She had just admitted her feelings for him and asked him to kiss her again! How could he resist? He slowly rose from his seat and towered over her, placing his palms down on the desk on either side of her. Then Darcy proceeded to give Elizabeth all the confirmation a kiss could afford.

The lady was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt.



Dinner was better even than luncheon, in spite of Mrs. Bennet's vulgarity and Mr. Bennet's melancholy. The gentlemen from the neighboring estate wore nearly identical smiles, as did the two eldest Bennet daughters. Everyone but Mr. Bennet looked at Elizabeth and Darcy in wonder as they talked away the evening like old friends. The young men departed for Netherfield soon after the meal and everyone (eventually, as of course Jane and Elizabeth talked long into the night) retired to their chambers with their heads full of the changes that were occurring in their family circle.

The following morning, Bingley and Darcy called upon the ladies of Longbourn again. Darcy sought a moment in private with Elizabeth. They agreed to announce their engagement that day and did so without delay. Thus, only seventy-two hours after Bingley had walked into the library of his house in London, Mr. Darcy was the happiest of men.

Mrs. Bennet, who had been preparing to escort Jane to her sister Philips's house in order to spread her good news throughout Meryton, had to sit down from the shock. She revived quickly, however, and insisted that Elizabeth accompany them. Both gentlemen bore the news as best they could, and their resignation was rewarded by an invitation to sample one of the finest selections from Mr. Bennet's wine cellar while he regaled them with tales of his daughters' early years.

The residents of Lucas Lodge were among the first to be apprised of their neighbours' happy circumstances. Sir William was genuinely complimentary, Lady Lucas insincerely congratulatory, and Charlotte glad for Jane and relieved that Elizabeth had chosen sensibly after all. However, the joy that overflowed from each Bennet bride-to-be was almost too much for Miss Lucas. It made her wonder whether she had been entirely prudent to disregard the value of romantic love.

Mr. Wickham heard that Elizabeth and Darcy were engaged, and he abandoned all hope of seducing any of the Bennet sisters. Less than two months after his arrival in Meryton, he began to have his usual difficulties. Whispers of mounting gaming debts and questionable activity involving the daughters of some local merchants reached the ears of Colonel Forster. Daunted by these circumstances as well as Darcy's continued presence in the neighborhood, Wickham soon abandoned the regiment and departed for London in search of his old friend Mrs. Younge.

Bingley hosted a ball the day after Christmas to celebrate the engagements of himself and his friend. The honoured guests were seen to be smiling most of the time and laughing the rest, and a delightful evening was had by all except Miss Bingley. Even Mrs. Hurst enjoyed herself; her husband, so relieved to be sharing the burden of Caroline's company with someone else for an evening, danced nearly every dance with his wife. Georgiana was able to visit and was thrilled that her first ball was in the country among friends. Lydia danced with Denny four times, and Mr. Bennet took it upon himself to ascertain the fellow's intentions before quitting the ballroom that night. Knowing he had been an associate of Mr. Wickham's, Mr. Bennet also had a talk with Colonel Forster and a few other officers to sketch Denny's character. Satisfied, he gave Lydia leave to like the young man.

With Lydia's time much occupied by her suitor, Kitty directed her sisterly affection towards Mary who, being the most ignored person in the house, welcomed the attention most heartily. Although the younger Miss Bennet had no fondness for extracts, she found herself quite intrigued by several of the books that Mary had hidden away in her room. The two ladies spent many a morning together reading and discussing novels and even attempted to write one of their own.

Lady Catherine soon heard of the engagement that was to destroy all her plans, and she was as obscene in her abuse of the future Mrs. Darcy as her nephew had anticipated. Anne, having received the earlier news from her cousin Georgiana, had arranged a visit with her uncle the earl in anticipation of her mother's disapprobation of the match. She was disappointed, greatly so, but she felt that to hear constantly of the injury she had suffered and to endure such looks of pity from her mother as she knew would be directed at her could not but make everything worse. Anne left just as Darcy's letter to Lady Catherine arrived, and the mother's screams of horror could be heard quite well by the daughter as she fled Rosings in the Barouche.

With Anne away for some weeks, Lady Catherine took out the bulk of her frustration on her clergyman. Mr. Collins, unable in the eyes of his patroness to atone for the sin of being Elizabeth's cousin (though a distant one), found himself calling at Rosings Park less and less frequently. By the time he and Charlotte married, he rarely saw her ladyship outside of Sunday services. This development undoubtedly resulted in a greater degree of domestic tranquility for the Collinses than would have been possible otherwise.

The day that the two eldest Bennet girls married the men they loved was the talk of the neighborhood for many months. Mrs. Bennet's arrangements for both the ceremony and the wedding breakfast were superb, eliciting more than one compliment from her husband on her talents. For a moment, Mr. Bennet saw in his companion the young, vivacious woman who had captured his attention all those years ago. The image faded quickly, but the fact that it had appeared at all gave him great hopes that Longbourn without his Jane and Lizzy would not be as unbearable as he had first thought.

~The End~

6 comments:

  1. This is a lovely story. Like all of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your story as well. You write well and the story has just the right mix or sweetness and angst. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very sweet and well written, thank you

    ReplyDelete