JA quotes and intro

"I should infinitely prefer a book." -- Chapter 39, Pride and Prejudice
"...I wish my collection were larger for your benefit and my own credit..." -- Chapter 8, Pride and Prejudice
"I shall be glad to have the library to myself as soon as may be." -- Chapter 20, Pride and Prejudice

Thanks for dropping by! Titles are below and to the right, under the following headings:
The Trouble of Practising | Longer fiction
The Result of Previous Study | Challenge entries and stories based on others' prompts (or simply others' prompting)
Impulse of the Moment | Short stories written on a whim
Drabbles | Snapshots, usually 100 words but occasionally more, and usually based on a prompt
The Alcove | Writings other than Jane Austen fanfictionNewest Post: All Six Senses (and All F
Some stories include direct quotes from Austen's works, and there is the occasional nod to one or other of the adaptations.

Most Recent Updates:
Dancing Lessons (July 2023), Miss Bingley's Megrim (November/December 2023)

Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Little More Practice (5 of 7)

Part 13

“Send Kitty to me.”

“Yes, Papa.” Elizabeth closed the door and sighed in relief.

Mr. Bennet’s consent had been tersely given, and Elizabeth had been anxious to remove Fitzwilliam and herself from the library to seek more friendly company. At least Jane would be happy for her. But first Kitty needed to be brought down, and Elizabeth preferred to go herself rather than send a servant.

“Mr. Darcy, I believe Kitty is still in her room. I shall return in a few moments. Shall I show you to the drawing room first?”

“I shall wait for you here.” He stopped at the base of the stairs.

She met his answer with an inquiring look and a bemused smile that quickly grew tender beneath his gaze. Then she turned and hurried upstairs to find her sister.

Jane was still with Kitty, sitting close beside her on the bed.

“Kitty,” Elizabeth whispered, hating to disrupt the calm scene, “Papa wishes to speak with you now.”

“I cannot face him.”

“You must.” Her tone was firm but not unkind. “Come; Jane and I will go down with you.”

“I cannot, Lizzy! Jane, do not make me go!” Kitty lunged forward and thrust her arms around her eldest sister’s neck.

Jane cradled Kitty in her mother-hen way and coaxed her out of bed, whispering assurances. Apparently Kitty had confessed to Jane something of what had passed.

Between the two of them, Elizabeth and Jane managed to make Kitty presentable in very little time. They supported her on either side as she walked down the stairs.

“Mr. Darcy, good morning.” Jane had not had the opportunity to greet him before now. Elizabeth felt Kitty stiffen.

Mr. Darcy stepped aside so as not to impede the ladies’ progress. “Good morning to you, Miss Bennet.” His voice softened as he added, “And to you, Miss Catherine.”

“Mr. Darcy,” she mumbled in reply.

“I hope you are well this morning?” His tone held an earnest quality that seemed to disconcert Kitty even more.

“I…I am, I…” She gulped. “I must go to my father,” she said without looking at him. “Please excuse me.”

“Of course.”

As soon as Kitty was out of sight, the three of them moved into the empty drawing room. Mr. Darcy lingered at the door. “I hope…” He looked towards the hall where Kitty had gone.

“What is it, Fitzwilliam?” Elizabeth heard Jane’s gasp and turned to see her sister smiling at her. Realising what she had let slip, she nodded in response to Jane’s unspoken question. She took Mr. Darcy’s arm and guided him to a comfortable seat, but he remained standing.

“It is just that…” He expelled a breath. “She reminds me so much of Georgiana after…after last summer. That look in her eyes, the trepidation in her voice; they recall to mind bitter memories.”

Elizabeth wished she could soothe away his sorrow. She reached up and touched his cheek, causing him to look at her. “Both our sisters are most fortunate to have you for a brother.”

Their tender moment lasted no longer, for at this further confirmation of Elizabeth’s relationship with Mr. Darcy, Jane offered her congratulations to them both.

“It is a joy to know there is someone who is not unhappy with our betrothal.” Elizabeth embraced her sister. “You are the first to express good wishes,” she said as they all sat down.

“But no one else knows yet, Lizzy! When you make the announcement, surely—” She stopped short. “Do you mean to say that Papa is not pleased?”

“Unfortunately, he is not.”

“Perhaps this business with Kitty is clouding his joy.”

“Joy was the last thing on his countenance when he gave us his consent.”

Jane pondered this news for a moment then gave Mr. Darcy an apologetic smile. “I am disappointed if our father truly does not welcome this union. I hope after he grows accustomed to the idea of losing Lizzy, he will think differently. She is something of a favourite with him.”

Elizabeth appreciated Jane’s attempt to smooth over the difficulties of the morning. She looked at Fitzwilliam to see how he fared. His face looked grim. “Do not worry; Jane is right. Sooner or later my father will show himself to be more pleased than he appears now.”

“It is not your father I was thinking of. If you believe his disapprobation is worrisome, imagine what my aunt will say when she hears the news.”

Elizabeth did imagine what Lady Catherine would say, and it made her laugh. “I doubt she will be happy to allow me access to Rosings after this, not even to the humble Mrs. Jenkinson’s room.”

Darcy slowly smiled. “You may well laugh, but I assure you, when she makes her opinion known, you will be far more inclined to anger than mirth.”

“I do not doubt it.” She turned her eyes to Jane. While Mr. Bingley had no overbearing aunt that she knew of, there were still Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst. No one’s path was completely free of thistles and briars, she supposed. “Jane, has Mr. Bingley informed his sisters of his engagement?”

“He writes to them today.”

“Had they any idea of it when we all were in town?”

“I have neither seen nor heard from them since Miss Bingley’s visit to my aunt’s. Therefore, I do not know.”

“How shall they behave when you meet again? I suppose Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst will be as friendly to you as they ever were.” Elizabeth looked at Mr. Darcy and was struck by his mortified expression; she remembered a little late that he, like Mr. Bingley’s sisters, had contrived to separate the couple. Jane noticed his distress as well, and Elizabeth silently berated herself for dredging up the awkward business.

“Miss Bennet—” Mr. Darcy’s voice cracked. “Miss Bennet, I hope one day you can forgive me for my unwarranted interference in your affairs.”

“Mr. Darcy, considering everything, there is nothing to forgive.”

“Pardon me, Miss Bennet, but you must know that there is.” He looked pained. “I gave my friend faulty advice. It was most fortunate that Bingley did not rely upon it. I was mistaken as to the depth of your affections. I was mistaken in many regards.”

“You have more than compensated for your errors. Bingley was so discouraged when Papa…Oh!” Jane paused to retrieve her handkerchief. “Had you not taken the trouble, I do not know what would have become of us.”

“It was no more than I should have done.”

“I must disagree with you. You were under no obligation to correct a problem you did nothing to cause. Pardon me.” She patted her eyes with the cloth. “Mr. Darcy, my present happiness is such that I cannot be anything other than grateful for your most recent act of interference.”

“Jane!” Kitty’s call reached their ears, putting an end to the gentle argument. “Jane, where are you?” They all looked to the doorway as Kitty poked her head through.

“Please join us, Kitty.”

Kitty hesitated a moment, then ran into the room. “Oh, Jane! Oh!” She flushed beet-red when she realised that Lizzy and the gentleman also were within. “P-Pardon me, Mr. Darcy.”

“Kitty, we are all friends here,” Elizabeth offered, grasping Fitzwilliam’s hand.

“Yes indeed,” Jane added. “In fact, we are not just friends, but family. Mr. Darcy is to marry Lizzy.”

“Truly?” Kitty’s face lit up with pleasure. “I shall be honoured to have such a brother.”

“The honour will be mine, Miss Catherine.”

“Please, call me Kitty,” she replied, giggling. “Or Catherine, if you like.”

Elizabeth rejoiced to see her younger sister smiling again. “Was Papa very severe on you?”

“Horrid in every way! He said I am not to leave the house for a month, not even to go into the gardens, and that he would not trust me so near society as our front door for fifty pounds!” She pouted like a little girl. “No officers will be allowed to visit us, save Colonel Forster, who is coming today. I hope the colonel will not ask to speak with me. When he calls, I shall run up to my room and stay there.”

She batted at the tears that had begun to fall. “Oh! I cried and cried! Then Papa told me not to make myself unhappy and said if I was very good he would allow me to stand up with one of my sisters at the next ball.”

Elizabeth laughed, to everyone’s astonishment. “It sounds to me as if he already has forgiven you, Kitty.”

“I told Papa I had not really wished to go away. I was only to meet Wickham and lend him some money.” She sat down next to Jane. “Wickham told me the rumours had spread and already three creditors had called on him. I should have known then that Lady Catherine was right. But I felt sorry for him. He seemed so hurt when Lydia walked away! I said to him, ‘All of Meryton may turn against you, but I shall not.’ I thought I was being noble.” She laughed nervously and sighed. “Now I see how foolish it all was. I would have ruined my reputation if I had met him last night and anyone had seen us. And who knows whether he might have convinced me to do something even worse.”

“You are safe now, and that is what matters.” Jane’s gentle voice seemed to start the tears flowing in earnest from Kitty’s eyes. “Shall I accompany you to your room?” Kitty nodded, and the two left Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy to themselves.

“Would you like anything to eat or drink, Fitzwilliam?”

“No, no; I breakfasted at Netherfield.”

“Then what would you like?”

“I believe you know the answer to that, my love.”

Elizabeth lowered her eyes. “Do I?”

“Do not be coy with me.” He ran his finger down the side of her face. “As it is, I must leave you soon.”

“Can you not stay awhile?”

“Unfortunately not.” He stood, pulling Elizabeth to her feet. “Will you see me out?”

They heard footsteps and chatter, and in another moment, Mrs. Bennet, along with Mary and Lydia, entered the room.

“Mr. Darcy! I heard you had come to call on my husband.”

“Good morning, Mrs. Bennet, Miss Mary, Miss Lydia. I have talked to Mr. Bennet. I was just about to take my leave.”

“Have you had refreshments? Lizzy, why did you not invite Mr. Darcy to join us at breakfast?”

“I did, Mama. He declined.”

“I appreciate the offer, Mrs. Bennet, but I must travel to London. My mention of business yesterday was no idle excuse. There are some important financial matters I must see to in person.”

“Well, I shall not keep you, if you are in a hurry.” She smirked as Mr. Darcy shifted from foot to foot and moved a little closer to the entrance. “Please give my regards to Mr. Bingley.”

“I certainly will, Ma’am.”

He turned and raised an eyebrow to Elizabeth. She caught the hint and announced to her mother and sisters that she would see him to the door.

“Must you go just now?” she pulled him closer and whispered as soon as they were out of the drawing room.

“The sooner I leave, the sooner I can return.” He grinned. “There is also the small matter of your father’s anger. I hope that it may lessen more quickly in my absence.”

“You are hardly its primary cause.” She could see the wisdom in giving Mr. Bennet time to recover from recent events, however. “How long will you be away?” she asked as they reached the outdoors.

“A few days, at most. I shall miss you.”

“I wish I could go with you.” She coloured at her forwardness, but Mr. Darcy did not seem to mind it at all.

“Thank you for that.” His eyes caressed her. “I must have my solicitor draw up the settlement papers for your father to approve.”

“Oh! I had not thought of it. I see that marriage to you is going to be a dreadfully practical, tedious business.”

“Do not tell me,” Darcy said, leaning towards her, “that your head is not as full of the prospect of trinkets and pin-money as that of any other woman of marriageable age.”

“You wound me, sir! My mind is far above such earthly concerns.”

His expression softened considerably. “Then you are indeed an angel, as I have believed these many weeks now.”

Elizabeth had nothing to say in reply and only tore her eyes away from his when Mr. Darcy’s horse was brought. “I suppose I shall have to tell Mama and Mary and Lydia the news before nightfall.”

“Do.” He smiled and moved closer as if to steal another kiss but quickly backed away and mounted his horse.

Elizabeth watched her gentleman gallop towards Netherfield. No sooner than he was out of sight did Colonel Forster appear, and Elizabeth returned to the house to tell her father. On her way to the library, she cast a fleeting glance up the stairs and hoped that this matter with Wickham would soon be over.

~☆☽♭♮♯


The hours flew by and Elizabeth still lacked the perfect opportunity to inform her mother of her engagement. From the moment Colonel Forster was announced until he departed Longbourn, Mrs. Bennet engaged her daughters in wild speculation about the nature of his talk with Mr. Bennet and the danger to Longbourn from roaming marauders who tried to force their way into the homes of respectable gentry.

Once the colonel left without confirming or denying any of the ladies’ conjectures, Mrs. Bennet hurried Mary, Lydia and Jane out with her to call on Mrs. Philips, and they were gone much of the afternoon. Elizabeth had been commissioned to sit with Kitty in Jane’s stead. “I imagine it is only a headache,” her mother had said before leaving, “brought on by the noise of that awful man, whoever he was, but do stay with her, Lizzy. She will feel sorry not to be going to her aunt’s with the rest of us. Oh, and if Mr. Bingley calls, tell him he is welcome to join us at my sister Philips’s. Otherwise, we shall see him in time for dinner.” Elizabeth gladly consented to everything and spent a quiet afternoon with Kitty in her rooms.

Mr. Bingley put in an appearance at dinner and apologised for not calling earlier in the day. He, like his friend, had been attending to business related to his upcoming marriage. “I spent the morning poring over my accounts,” he explained to the Bennets, “and the afternoon writing to Caroline and Louisa. I must confess my letter writing took more time than it should have, but I made sure to take particular care so that nothing would be misunderstood.” He winked at Elizabeth. “Mr. Darcy left for London some hours ago. He was sorry to go, but it was for a worthy cause.” His warm, expressive look left her in no doubt of his good information.

He sat across from Jane and next to Elizabeth. As soon as there seemed the least danger of his being heard by the others, he spoke to the latter. “I congratulate you.”

“You are very kind.”

“Do they all know?” His eyes wandered to her mother.

“Not all, as you have surmised, but they shall before the day is over.”

“I suppose now I may pronounce my friend’s name as often as I wish without causing you any undue discomfort. I believe I shall miss watching you blush; you do so charmingly.”

“You are very naughty, Mr. Bingley. I am surprised my sister tolerates that trait in you.”

“Your sister tolerates a great deal in me, for which I cannot be thankful enough.”

That evening, Elizabeth followed Mrs. Bennet to her room.

“Your father is not the least bit concerned for our welfare. He refuses to tell me what happened last night, no matter how many times I ask. Did you notice that he changed the subject when I told Mr. Bingley of it?” She sat down and began to remove her necklace. “Colonel Forster will help us. That must be the reason for his visit. If we beg the colonel’s assistance, perhaps the militia will set a guard around Longbourn. But they will be gone in less than a fortnight, and then who will protect us?”

Elizabeth almost laughed at the irony of her mother’s last statement. Forster and that scamp Wickham would leave together for Brighton, and good riddance, she thought. “Mama, I am certain that we are safe in our own home.” She smiled at her mother’s agitation. “If Papa thought otherwise, he would say so.” Amused as she was, she could not help but be grieved that her father kept so much of import from her mother. She hoped Fitzwilliam would never shut her out in such a way.

“Mama,” Elizabeth said when she felt she could no longer put it off, “I have something to tell you.”

“What is it? Goodness knows we have had more than our share of bad news.”

“This will be welcome then, for it is very good news. I am going to marry Mr. Darcy.”

“Mr. Darcy? Have you not always hated him?”

“Not always, and not at all now; quite the contrary.”

“Has he spoken to your father? Of course—that is why he came so early! And is it really true? Oh!” Mrs. Bennet began to get that familiar gleam in her eyes. “My sweetest Lizzy! How rich and how great you will be! This surely makes up for your refusing Mr. Collins!” She suddenly got up from her chair and grabbed Elizabeth’s hand. “Is that ring new? I have never seen you wear it before.” She gasped. “Is it from Mr. Darcy? Has he given you a token of his esteem already?”

“He presented it to me when he proposed, Mama.”

“An engagement ring! How unexpected! He certainly can afford it, I dare say.” Mrs. Bennet examined the sparkling object with an appreciative smile. “But how did I not see it earlier? Did you wear it at dinner?”

Elizabeth explained, amidst her mother’s continued exclamations, that she had twisted the ring around so that no one might notice.

“You will have a double wedding with Jane and Mr. Bingley!”

This new idea gave birth to a host of others, and Elizabeth sat down and prepared to stay a long while. She knew her mother was not in general backward to credit what was for the advantage of her family, or what came in the shape of a lover to any of them, but this excitement at first seemed too much, her own happiness notwithstanding, until compared with the less enthusiastic reaction of Mr. Bennet. After the censure that Elizabeth and her intended had borne from her father since the day before, she almost—not quite, but almost—wished Fitzwilliam had remained long enough to hear her mother’s effusive but sincere good wishes.

~☆☽♭♮♯


Part 14

“Flat.”

“What?” Elizabeth blinked. She spun around to see Mary sitting behind her. She had not heard her enter the room.

“The A should be flat, I think.”

Elizabeth turned back to the music over which she had laboured for the last quarter of an hour. She repeated the offending chord with the alteration Mary suggested. “Ah!” She smiled at the improvement in sound. “That was it exactly, Mary. Thank you.”

“You are welcome.”

Elizabeth toiled a little longer, paying closer attention to the page before her. When she had had quite enough, she got up from the pianoforte and saw that Mary was still there. “Do you wish to try it now?”

“May I?”

“Of course! I should like it if you did.” She was not in the habit of asking her younger sister to play to her, but Mary always had been the better musician of the two and was far less apt to have difficulty working her way through the music. Though the performance might be uninspired, at least all the correct notes would be struck; Mary’s penchant for practice had made her accurate, if nothing else.

Mary had moved with alacrity towards the instrument, and Elizabeth saw her eyes light up with anticipation as she reached for the pages. “I appreciate your patience, Mary.” She probably had interrupted her sister’s routine. “I know you are not accustomed to waiting.”

Mary seemed to consider her words. “I have rarely seen you here this early in the day.”

“I found, this morning, that I missed a habit I had established while in Hunsford. Lady Catherine recommended that I improve my skills, and as she also provided the means for me to do so, I could not refuse.” She smiled at the memory of her first visit to Mrs. Jenkinson’s room and the improbable appearance of Mr. Darcy at the door. She recalled the way he had stood there with his eyes closed, listening to her sing; she grinned at the thought of his disappearing from the doorway like a phantom.

“Did you purchase this while in Kent or in London?”

“I did not purchase it.” Elizabeth blushed. “Mr. Darcy gave it to me as a gift.”

“Oh.” Mary looked awkward. “Congratulations on your engagement. Mama told me of it last night, but you had already retired.”

“I suspected as much.” From behind the closed door of her room, Elizabeth had heard her mother’s voice ring out as she spread the happy news throughout the house.

“Are you pleased?”

“I am.”

“I suppose he will buy you whatever music you like, since he is so rich.”

“Mary,” Elizabeth laughed, “you know that as Miss Elizabeth Bennet, I can buy whatever music I wish. I do not need a rich husband for that! Papa is not so ungenerous with our pocket money, is he?”

“No, indeed,” Mary stammered. “I only meant…”

“That I shall have endless resources at my disposal?”

“Why did you agree to marry him?”

Elizabeth felt insulted and almost refused to answer, but she reasoned that if anyone had the right to question her, it was her own sister. “Because I love him,” she admitted.

“You love him.” Mary appeared to digest this revelation. “How did that come about?”

“It is not surprising that you should wonder. Sometimes I can hardly believe my opinion of him has changed so drastically.”

“It has nothing to do with his money?”

“No.” Elizabeth sighed. How could she make someone else understand what she herself did not yet fully comprehend?

“I just thought that…after you refused Mr. Collins, perhaps you had despaired of making a prosperous match.”

“I had not despaired of making a match. I had no thoughts of matrimony when Mr. Darcy approached me.” She knew she would need to explain herself. “When Mr. Collins proposed to me, I knew I could not accept him.” She sat down near Mary. “I cared nothing for him as a suitor.”

“You had just met Mr. Wickham then.”

“True.” Elizabeth supposed that her attraction to Mr. Wickham had added force to the other inducements which led her to refuse Mr. Collins, but she would never admit such a thing to Mary. “But Mr. Wickham had not the means to support a wife, and now we know that even were his income sufficient, he would make any girl a poor husband.”

“Those rumours…”

“Yes,” interrupted Elizabeth, not wishing to discuss Mr. Wickham further. “Mr. Darcy, unlike the others, completely took me by surprise with his regard for me.”

“What did he say? What did he do?”

She shifted in her seat, not accustomed to Mary hanging on her every word. “We argued. Not unusual, really, but this instance was worse than the others. I told him I despised him as much as he despised me. He informed me that his feelings were quite the opposite of what I had assumed.”

“Did this happen in Kent?”

“Oh, yes, at Rosings.”

“And your feelings changed immediately?”

“No, but eventually they did.” She smiled. “Is that not what truly matters?” She resisted the curiosity in her sister’s eyes. “Now, let us hear these notes played properly. I shall turn the pages for you.”

Mary did the piece justice and was easily persuaded to try another. At its conclusion, she put her hands in her lap and sat still for a moment. “It is a beautiful love song,” she declared with a rare smile. Then she looked at Elizabeth and said, “Mr. Darcy chose well.”

Elizabeth nodded her agreement, but as her sister began to play again, she grew pensive. ‘I hope you are right, Mary,’ she thought. ‘I hope you are right.’

~☆☽♭♮♯


Mr. Bingley called on the Bennets each morning before breakfast and often departed after supper. Mr. Darcy’s stay in London was brief, and not many days passed before he joined his friend on the three-mile ride to Longbourn. Now that Elizabeth’s engagement was known to all the family, Mr. Darcy rarely strayed from her side, though he spoke politely to the others. He even found something to say to Lydia on each visit, and his continuing solicitude for Kitty’s comfort earned approving glances from Elizabeth and Jane.

Three mornings after Mr. Darcy had returned from London, not long after the gentlemen had arrived, the attention of the entire party was drawn to the sound of a carriage approaching. Mr. Bingley hurried Jane to the gardens for a walk. Kitty rushed to peer outside. “It is a very fine carriage, Mama. Who can it be at this time of day? Is it the colonel, come to bring your sister to us, Mr. Darcy?”

“It cannot be. I do not expect them for another week.” His curiosity roused, he left his seat and joined Kitty at the window. Elizabeth saw his mouth turn down at the corners. “Excuse me.” He stepped back. “I hope to return to you very soon.”

The ladies watched as Mr. Darcy stormed out of the room. Every eye turned to Elizabeth, but she had no explanation to offer.

Kitty, who had moved to another window to better observe the mysterious visitor and Mr. Darcy, broke the silence. “There he is! I see him now. He is speaking to a lady. He is handing her out of the carriage.”

“Kitty, remove your nose from the glass, please.” Mr. Bennet walked fully into the room.

Kitty sulked and went back to her seat.

“Do I understand correctly that we have a visitor at this hour?”

“We do, Papa.” Mary confirmed. “Mr. Darcy has gone out to meet her.”

“Who does he think he is, Master of the Manor? This is my house, not Pemberley! I shall go.”

“But Papa,” Kitty added, “I believe he knows her.”

“Hmph!” Mr. Bennet strode to the door.

With Mr. Bennet out of sight, both Elizabeth and Kitty got up and ran to the window. Elizabeth gasped at what she saw. “Lady Catherine!” It could be none other—her comportment, fineness of dress, gestures, all were instantly recognisable. She did not want to imagine what her ladyship must be saying to her nephew. Slowly, the others gathered around them as the seconds passed and no servant came to escort the caller into the drawing room.

Elizabeth slipped away from her family and sought solitude in the gardens to think on what she had seen. Why had Lady Catherine come? Surely not to congratulate her and Fitzwilliam; her ladyship could have nothing good to say about their engagement. She could not help her curiosity, however. As she walked towards the front of the house, the sounds of Lady Catherine’s displeasure became increasingly intelligible. The words “disgrace” and “regret” were quite clear. Mr. Darcy’s responses were less so, but his uneven tone betrayed his struggle to maintain even a modicum of propriety. She did not hear her father’s voice at all. As she considered the spectacle her ladyship must be making in front of the servants and anyone else who happened to be near enough to witness, she felt anger well up inside her.

“Lizzy!” Jane whispered. Her sister and Mr. Bingley had found a perfect spot from which to observe the quarrel undetected. “I cannot make out much of what Lady Catherine is saying. She is Lady Catherine, is she not?” Jane shifted to make room for her.

“Yes.”

“It must be half a day’s journey from Rosings Park,” Mr. Bingley observed. “She must have stopped in London for the night and departed at dawn. I wonder that she took the trouble of coming so far.”

“What can her ladyship hope to achieve by it?” Jane asked.

“She hopes,” Elizabeth said, her anger increasing, “to assert a prior claim on her nephew on behalf of Miss de Bourgh.”

“That is unlikely,” said Bingley with a quiet laugh. “I would say it is impossible. Your engagement notwithstanding, Darcy never meant to marry his cousin. He told me so.”

Jane pressed Elizabeth’s hand. “Mr. Darcy did warn you that his aunt would not be pleased by your betrothal.”

“True, but I never expected this! Must she make her opinion known to the entire neighbourhood?” Had she not been so incensed, Elizabeth would have laughed at the notion of three rational adults hiding in the bushes and whispering to each other like children. She peered through the shrubbery. “I suppose Papa is just going to stand there like a statue until he is formally introduced. He likely is enjoying the scene.”

“Now, Lizzy, that is not fair! The situation is very awkward.”

Bingley agreed. “If Lady Catherine continues to decline Mr. Bennet’s hospitality, perhaps I should invite her to rest from her journey at Netherfield.”

“Oh, will you?” Elizabeth sighed in relief. “I would be so grateful. Though I wonder whether she will acknowledge your offer if she will not listen to her own nephew.”

“I can but try.”

Elizabeth and Jane watched Mr. Bingley approach the others.

“I doubt Mr. Bingley’s efforts will succeed, but it is kind of him to go to the trouble.”

“I hope her ladyship accepts his offer. How long can she persist in arguing in public?”

“You would be surprised, Jane, at how much Lady Catherine can have to say once she warms to her subject.”

Mr. Bingley’s petition at first appeared to have the desired effect; Lady Catherine looked around her at suddenly being addressed by a stranger, and she seemed to gather her misplaced wits and get her indignation under regulation. Then Mr. Darcy moved to hand his aunt into the carriage, and the pretence of peace collapsed as Lady Catherine’s voice rose to new heights.

After a moment, Elizabeth gathered her courage. “This is ridiculous! I must put an end to it.”

Jane, seeing that Elizabeth was determined to intervene, stepped out of her hiding place. “I shall go with you.”

The girls walked together, arm in arm, stopping before the carriage. “Lady Catherine, it is a pleasure to see you again,” Elizabeth lied.

“Miss Bennet!” Lady Catherine fairly shouted. Apparently, she had not seen Elizabeth and Jane approach. “I cannot say that I return the sentiment.”

“That is unfortunate. Will you not come into the house?”

Mr. Darcy, keeping his eyes on Lady Catherine, seethed. “My aunt has refused every reasonable offer made to her, and she likewise refuses to return to the comfort of her carriage.”

“I am sorry you will not stay and have tea with us. You have come such a great distance only to turn around and go back again. Are you certain we cannot change your mind?”

“Miss Bennet, my mind is not the one that needs to be changed!”

“Her ladyship has spoken, gentlemen. She will not be persuaded.”

“I certainly shall not! If my nephew will not give me the assurances I require, I will have them from you, Miss Bennet! This presumptuous match cannot take place!”

“By ‘presumptuous match’, I presume you mean my engagement to Mr. Darcy?”

“Insolent girl! You know exactly what I speak of! Why else would I come here?”

Jane made an unintelligible sound and began to speak in her sister’s favour, but Elizabeth stopped her with a shake of her head. “Why else, indeed?” Elizabeth asked, striving to look not the least bit perturbed.

“Is this to be my reward for my attention to you at Rosings?” Lady Catherine continued. “Ungrateful girl!”

“Your ladyship,” Elizabeth answered, “I cannot allow you to continue in error. I am not ungrateful, nor would I have you believe me so.”

“Then how do you explain your attempts to ensnare my nephew?”

“I cannot explain attempts that were never made, your ladyship.”

“He claims you are engaged to him, that he, and not your family, sent the announcement to the papers! How can that be, unless you have tricked him into it?”

“Lady Catherine,” Elizabeth pressed on, “while I realise it was not your intention, or even mine, to further my acquaintance with Mr. Darcy, I do not wish to be remiss in offering my sincere thanks for the service you rendered us. Had you not impressed upon me the need to improve my performance at the pianoforte, I would not have been thrown so often into Mr. Darcy’s company, and I doubt we would have come to a better understanding of one another. Circumstances could not have turned out more advantageously had you purposely arranged them.”

“Arranged them? Preposterous!”

“Indeed. It is wonderful, is it not? I am quite pleased with my choice of husband, and I thank you for the part you have played in our current happiness.”

Lady Catherine’s face became alarmingly red. “You speak nonsense…You cannot be serious…”

“Let me echo the oft-repeated words of your dear friend, Lady Metcalfe: ‘Lady Catherine, you have given me a treasure.’” She smoothed her skirts. “Now that I have discharged my obligation, I shall not detain you. I bid you good day and good journey.” She curtsied graciously and turned to the gentlemen. “Fitzwilliam, Mr. Bingley, shall we return to the house?”

Mr. Darcy took her hand and kissed it before tucking it under his arm and escorting her inside, leaving Mr. Bingley and Jane to follow. Elizabeth heard Lady Catherine spewing venomous insults at her back, but she never turned to acknowledge them. Nothing that woman said could touch her now. It was, surprisingly, the sound of her father’s voice that made her clutch Fitzwilliam’s arm; she faltered when she heard him address Lady Catherine at last, just as the door to Longbourn closed behind her.

~☆☽♭♮♯


Part 15

Mrs. Bennet queried Mr. Darcy as soon as he returned to the drawing room. “Is it true that Lady Catherine is here?”

Mr. Darcy only nodded and proceeded to escort Elizabeth to her seat.

“Why did she not come inside?”

“She did not choose it,” Mr. Darcy answered.

“I suppose her ladyship called to congratulate you and Lizzy on your engagement. From what little I saw, I must say she did so quite energetically.”

“Her purpose was by no means as benevolent as you suppose, Madam.”

“Congratulate us?” Elizabeth added under her breath. “Refuse her consent, more like.”

“I cannot imagine why Lady Catherine did not come into the house,” Mrs. Bennet continued. “I hope her ladyship was not displeased with Longbourn.”

“She was prevented by my going out to meet her,” Mr. Darcy said, “but I am glad to have spared you a most unpleasant scene.” He whispered to Elizabeth, “I wish I could have spared you, my love.”

“It is not your fault, Fitzwilliam,” Elizabeth whispered back.

“Unpleasant?” Mrs. Bennet repeated.

“I should have protected you from her wrath,” Mr. Darcy murmured to Elizabeth.

“Quite,” Mr. Bingley replied to Mrs. Bennet.

“Do you believe I required protection?” Elizabeth asked Mr. Darcy. Her attempt to laugh elicited from the gentleman his first smile since his aunt had made her appearance.

“Oh, dear,” Mrs. Bennet fretted. “Where is your father?”

“He is speaking with Lady Catherine now,” Jane supplied.

“Perhaps I should go to them.” Mrs. Bennet turned to the door.

“Madam!” Mr. Darcy leapt out of his seat. “That will not be necessary…” The sound of the carriage departing punctuated his outburst. “My aunt is not in the best of spirits today,” he explained to Mrs. Bennet in a calmer voice. “It is fortunate that you did not meet with her in her present state.”

Mrs. Bennet appeared unconvinced and not a little insulted. “But now I shall have to wait until the wedding to make her acquaintance!”

“Mr. Darcy is quite right, Mama.” Jane’s tone was so stern that she sounded like Mary. “The wait is of no consequence. You are better off as you are.”

At the sound of footsteps, Mr. Darcy stood. “Your father cannot wish to see me here after what has occurred,” he told Elizabeth and Jane. “I believe I should go.”

“Mr. Darcy,” said Mr. Bennet upon entering the room, “did I just hear you say you are leaving? This is the second time in a se’nnight that you have attempted an early escape from Longbourn. Your aunt would not avail herself of our hospitality; surely you do not wish to follow her example?”

Mr. Darcy froze in place. His lips barely moved as he replied, “Certainly not.”

“Then, please, sit down.”

Mr. Bennet himself took a seat, and after frustrating his wife by his vague replies to her detailed inquiries regarding their exalted guest, he began to speak upon another subject entirely with his eldest daughters and the gentlemen. Mr. Bennet carried the conversation, as Jane and Mr. Bingley did not exert themselves to talk much. Mr. Darcy offered few remarks, and Elizabeth none at all; the latter silently sought to discover whether her father was pleased or disgusted with her behaviour towards Lady Catherine.

Despite Mr. Bennet’s remonstrance and subsequent civility, the gentlemen’s visit did not continue long after Lady Catherine’s departure. Mr. Bennet walked them out, and the ladies began to stir.

“Well! All of our company has left us,” complained Mrs. Bennet. “I am sure I feel very dull.”

“Mama, why do not we go into Meryton?”

“An excellent suggestion, Lydia! We shall call on my sister Philips. Kitty, will you come with us?”

“Papa will not allow it.”

“Ah, yes. I had forgotten. I do not know where your father got the odd notion of keeping you bound to this house. How are you to have any amusement, or meet any eligible gentlemen? I have tried to talk him out of it, but he says he will not relent.”

“The restriction will not last forever, Kitty.” Elizabeth was mortified for her sister, but even more disturbing was her mother’s obvious ignorance as to the reasons for Kitty’s punishment. “With all the wedding preparations,” she continued, “I am sure Papa will permit you to walk the streets of Meryton and visit the shops soon enough.”

“True, true!” Mrs. Bennet said, cheering immediately. “Lydia, come along. I must tell my sister of Lady Catherine’s call.”

While Kitty busied herself with picking apart a bonnet and Mary turned her attention to a book, Jane walked to the window. Elizabeth joined her and watched their mother and youngest sister take the path to Meryton. The men were still talking, standing near the place where Lady Catherine’s carriage had been.

“Before this morning, I would willingly have gone through the world without believing that so much incivility existed in the whole race of humankind as is collected in Lady Catherine de Bourgh alone. I never would have believed it, had I not heard her ladyship’s words with my own ears.”

“Jane!” Elizabeth abruptly turned her head from the window.

“How could she abuse you so, Lizzy? She must have observed you and Mr. Darcy together before you liked him. Why, even at Aunt Gardiner’s house, you received him cautiously. You were hardly forward then, and certainly could not have thrown yourself at him weeks before, upon first renewing your acquaintance in Kent. Had you sought to entrap Mr. Darcy—how vulgar of her to suggest it!—she would have seen evidence of your attempts and not been shocked by your engagement. After all, what benefit could there be to you in feigning indifference if you were wishing, expecting his addresses?”

Elizabeth stared at her, struck speechless by her words.

“Yet, if you had cared for Mr. Darcy and welcomed his attentions in Hunsford, she still would have accused you of being a fortune hunter. It is so unfair, Lizzy. If a woman displays her affection, genuine affection, for the world to see, she runs the risk of being subjected to all manner of impertinence and even censure. But if she does not,” Jane added in a lower voice, with her eyes fixed on the gentlemen, “she runs the greater risk of concealing that affection from its object.”

“Oh, Jane!” Elizabeth laid her head on her sister’s shoulder for a moment and suppressed her tears. How glad she was that Mr. Bingley had not taken the counsel of his sisters or his friend to heart!

“I hope that in time you will forget Lady Catherine’s behaviour, Lizzy.”

“Her ladyship’s conduct has been such,” said Elizabeth, blinking to allow a tear to escape, “as neither you, nor I, nor anyone else can ever forget. It is useless to hope. But I shall endeavour not to dwell on it overlong.” Through watery eyes, Elizabeth saw Fitzwilliam turn to face her. She could not tell whether she truly detected or merely imagined his slow smile, but she placed her hand against the glass nonetheless and smiled in return.

~☆☽♭♮♯


“Less than a week and they will be gone!” Of all the Bennets, only Lydia expressed any feelings of loss at the regiment’s imminent departure. “Mama and I met Mrs. Forster on the way home,” she told her sisters. “I had not seen Harriet for an age, and now we must part! We talked and talked while Mama was taking leave of Aunt Philips. She wishes to invite me to Brighton, and I long to go, but Colonel Forster will not permit it. He is so disagreeable!” She dropped into the nearest seat and continued her whining, her arms inelegantly splayed over the sides of the chair. “Harriet is my best friend in the world. How I shall miss her.”

“Of course you will miss your friend,” her mother said. “However, I cannot be angry with Colonel Forster as long as he takes that foul Mr. Wickham away from Meryton when he goes.”

Elizabeth’s eyes flew to Kitty, but she turned them elsewhere when she noticed Mary regarding her.

“Colonel Forster is a wise man,” she heard Mary say. “You should be happy to avoid Mr. Wickham’s society, Lydia.”

“Oh! Hang Mr. Wickham!” Lydia cried out, surprising the others, as she rarely replied to anything Mary said. “What has he to do with it? I have no intention of enjoying Mr. Wickham’s society in Brighton or anywhere else!”

“It is not your intention I question,” Mary said, “but his. Not so long ago, he was on very good terms with our family.”

“Why does that matter? I did not even speak to him when I saw him last.”

“Your staying in the colonel’s household would bring you frequently into company with all the soldiers, including Mr. Wickham.” Mary’s statement arrested everyone’s attention, including her mother’s. “A man who has lost his good name may try to cling to what friends he can. A man as charming as Mr. Wickham may even succeed. Any remaining bonds of friendship we girls share with him—or with any undeserving member of the other sex—must be severed, for the sake of our reputations.”

Kitty made a tiny squeak and began to cough violently.

Elizabeth and Jane glanced at each other, the former preparing to intervene, the latter perhaps doing the same. They waited too long to act, however; Lydia had grasped the one concept that was of use to her in the whole of Mary’s speech. “Mama, do you think it is Wickham’s fault that I cannot go? Harriet did say the colonel is keeping a close watch on him.” Lydia glowered. “I dare say it is all his doing.”

Kitty’s coughing continued as Lydia heaped blame on Mr. Wickham for her disappointment. “How could he ruin my holiday? I shall never forgive him, and if I ever see him again, I shall tell him exactly what I think of him and his…”

“Never you mind, Lydia,” said Mrs. Bennet over the commotion. “I would not have you go so far away when there is much to be done here. You must help your sisters choose new gowns for the wedding ceremony. In fact, I shall have new dresses ordered for all my girls.”

Lydia squealed in delight at this announcement and prattled on with their mother. Kitty soon recovered enough to smile a little. Mary looked quite satisfied, and Jane and Elizabeth breathed sighs of relief.

~☆☽♭♮♯


The following morning, Mr. Bennet called Elizabeth into his library. He stood at his desk waving a piece of paper.

“As I know you cannot bear being away from Mr. Darcy for very long, I shall be as brief as I can.”

“Mr. Darcy has not yet arrived. What do you have there, Papa?”

“A letter from Mr. Collins.”

“Mr. Collins! What can he have to say?” ‘Nothing that can interest me,’ she added to herself.

“Based on yesterday’s events, I am sure you can guess.”

“Oh…” She immediately recalled his connection to Lady Catherine and frowned.

“He does not even offer congratulations on the approaching nuptials of your eldest sister, though I do not doubt that some of the good-natured, gossiping Lucases have informed him of it. He gets directly to the point. Very unlike him.” Mr. Bennet looked at her. “But I see I am sporting with your patience. Here is what he says.” He handed the letter to her. “Read it for yourself. Then I shall burn it, I think.”

My Dear Sir,

I feel myself called upon, by our relationship, and my situation in life, to beg your assistance in righting the grievous wrong that has been done to my esteemed patroness, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, and to her daughter, Miss Anne de Bourgh. Be assured that neither Mrs. Collins nor I cast any blame upon you for the ill-advised actions of Miss Elizabeth, actions which have brought much undeserved distress to Rosings. Neither do I blame Mr. Darcy, for I have no doubt he has been tricked into the arrangement, which, I must warn you, has not been sanctioned by his nearest relations. As you may imagine, I am quite familiar with your daughter’s ability to draw one in. This consideration has led me to reflect with augmented satisfaction on a certain event of last November, although I can almost wish circumstances had turned out quite the opposite for the welfare and happiness of dear Lady Catherine, as I would gladly bear any mortification for her sake. The past cannot be altered, however, and for this I am thankful, being quite certain that my contentment, as the husband of my dear Charlotte, is far greater than it would be were I married to a lady whose arts and allurements had blinded me to her mercenary motives. I can now credit your daughter’s refusal of one proposal to the expectation of another.

Let me strongly advise you, my dear Sir, for the restoration of Lady Catherine’s peace of mind, to withdraw your consent to the marriage and leave your unworthy child to reap the fruits of her own insufferable presumptions.
“Are you well? You are not going to be Missish, I hope, and pretend to be intimidated by a mere lizard when you have braved the dragon herself.”

Elizabeth shook her head and read the remaining lines of offensive script. She was too diverted to be very angry; she had almost laughed aloud when reading Mr. Collins’s comparison of her motives to Charlotte’s. Her father was right. Having faced Lady Catherine and retained her dignity, she was untroubled by the bitter words of her cousin. She was more grateful than ever that her father had refused to grant his consent to a marriage between herself and Mr. Collins. The accusations in the letter were not unlike those she had endured while staying at Hunsford Parsonage, and at such a distance their effect was weakened. She reminded herself that what Mr. Collins insinuated was no truer now than a month ago, despite her engagement to Mr. Darcy, and she handed the letter back to her father, who promptly disposed of it.

“Sit down, Lizzy.”

She settled herself in the chair across from his, and for a moment, they sat and looked at each other in silence.

“I allowed you to read that letter for one reason.” Mr. Bennet continued to look at his daughter earnestly. “There are going to be people, both within your new family and in greater society, who will not look upon your marriage with a friendly eye. Some will use words much harsher than those of my cousin. Hopefully none will surpass Lady Catherine’s performance.” He frowned. “That person is unlikely to call here ever again. I told her she is not welcome within three miles of Longbourn unless she apologises to you, Jane, Mr. Bingley and her nephew, of course. Oh, and your mother, who, I informed her ladyship, may never forgive her for not sitting down to tea.” His eyes smiled though his mouth did not. “I considered suggesting that she save time by making a general announcement in the town square, but I doubt she would have received the idea in the proper spirit. She has not much of a sense of humour, eh? Ah, well. Are you certain you are prepared to defend yourself against future attacks, Lizzy? You have no reservations about entering into this union?”

“None, Papa. I am not troubled by anyone’s disapprobation. My family approves, and Miss Darcy approves. That is sufficient for me.”

“Good. Very good. Your Mr. Darcy has no reservations either. He made that point very clear to Lady Catherine yesterday. I nearly lost my composure when he said to his aunt, ‘I am a gentleman; she,’ speaking of you, of course, ‘is a gentleman’s daughter.’ Now, we all know this modest estate cannot possibly compare to Pemberley, and the thousand pounds you will inherit someday is less, I would wager, than Miss Darcy receives in the course of a year. It was kind of him to reduce your disparate circumstances to those simple terms.” Her father smiled outright. “I had an agreeable talk with Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley. Worthy men. I would not have believed it possible just two days ago, but I think I shall like your husband quite as well as Jane’s.”

“Oh, Papa!” Elizabeth could not restrain her relief and pleasure at her father’s words. “I am so glad!”

“Yes, I can see that you are. I am happy myself to see you smiling so, after yesterday. But Lizzy, can you tell me whether you and Mr. Darcy are in the habit of exchanging books on the subject of agriculture? Is he attempting to correct a deficiency in your education so that, as the need arises, you may be fully prepared to discuss such matters with Pemberley’s steward?”

Elizabeth, unprepared for the rapid turn of the conversation, blushed at the thought of revealing the truth and blushed again at the mention of Pemberley. “I would rather not say.”

“Well, you are to be married, after all, and couples must have their little secrets. As long as Mr. Darcy remembers that you are not married yet, I will not press you for details.”

“He is a gentleman, Papa.”

“Yes…yes, and you are a gentleman’s daughter!” he laughed. “Thank heaven for that.”

“Papa,” she hesitated, “may I ask you something now?”

“What is it?”

“Why is Mama yet ignorant of Mr. Wickham’s last visit to our house? Even Mary has divined something of what occurred that night, I think.”

Mr. Bennet sighed. “Do you wish your sister’s reputation to be ruined, perhaps forever? If your mother were to discover the truth, she would spread the word around Meryton in a day’s time. Kitty would not be able to show her face in public for months, if not longer. I do intend to let her out of the house at some point in future, to see her sisters married, if for no other reason.”

She was disappointed and sorry, not least because she was unable to dismiss her father’s concerns as unfounded.

“Lizzy, I will tell her someday. Just not now.”

Elizabeth nodded, and with a smile, she left her father to his solitude.

~☆☽♭♮♯



Next

2 comments:

  1. No one’s path was completely free of thistles and briars -excellent phrase- and the last conversation between E and her father was terrific. I love that you actually demonstrate Elizabeth's wit rather than referring to it. Most do not have the ability. Kudos to you-Sheryl

    ReplyDelete